Home or business damaged by Isaias? Take these steps to protect your rights:
1. Notify you insurance company as soon as possible.
2. Take pictures - lots of pictures - and then more pictures.
3. If there are any local videos or on the internet showing the cause of loss or conditions in your neighborhood, get a copy of them and preserve them.
4. Mitigate your damages. If you can prevent additional damages to your property, say by covering a hole in the property with a tarp and preventing water intrusion, do it.
5. Document your consequential damages and losses. If you have records showing the cost of your property, preserve them to give to the insurance company. If you are displaced, keep documentation for your hotel or rental costs, meals and other added costs you are incurring.
6. If your insurance company starts to give you a hard time by arguing about the cause of loss or the appropriate replacement value for your property, contact an experienced policyholder attorney to protect you.